Friday, April 28, 2006

A Day at the Georgia Aquarium

Stacie and I took a day off of work last week for our anniversary. We wanted to make it an in town event to save money. Our original plan was to go rollerblading in Piedmont Park in the morning, have lunch downtown and then go over to Sweetwater State Park and canoe during the afternoon. The weather didn't look promising so we decided to do an indoor activity. 5 minutes later, ha ha, she suggested going to the Georgia Aquarium. I was suprised because she said she was done with aquariums. We have been to quite a few, in fact we went to one on the morning of our wedding and she didn't think there would really be anything new to see. I have been dying to go since it opened because it is a) the largest aquarium in the world b) in our backyard and c) they've got freakin' whale sharks!

We started off the morning relaxing and actually worked in one errand before lunch at La Fonda. Lunch was awesome! I forgot how much I loved this place. I used to go more when I lived closer to it in my younger party days. After lunch we drove downtown to the aquarium. We had a 30 minute wait to get in and when we did, it was packed. It was an impressive display. As expected, my favorites were the Ocean Voyager and Cold Water Quest. I would have enjoyed it more if I didn't feel quite as rushed due to the crowd. The Ocean Voyager display had things that I had never seen and would probably never see in my life. I have seen stingrays before, but to be in an acrylic tunnel below them as dozens fly over in formation was really cool. The whale sharks were just absolutely enormous. After the crowds have died down by next year maybe I'll try it again. If you're ever in town, it is definitely worth visiting.

1 Comments:

At 8:17 AM, Blogger CC said...

Don't know if you saw the bubble-blowing-eating Beluga, but it sounds like he's near death. I would have liked for them to have a big shark tank as well. I think that would have been the icing on the cake.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home