Friday, April 07, 2006

I Like Animals More Than I Like Some People

I love animals. I love Dundee like she's my child. Some people can relate to that. Some can't. To each his own. But I'm an animal lover. I always have been. I cried for hours once when I was 11 and witnessed someone shooting a rabid squirrel in my back yard. I understood that the squirrel was rabid and was not a good thing to have around, but it didn't have to DIE. My heart feels for animals. I've cried through just about every animal movie that has been made, from Benji to Homeward Bound to Two Brothers to March of the Penguins. So, given this tender hearted nature I have toward animals, I HATE hearing stories of animal cruelty. If I hear the beginning of one on the news, I change the channel. I just can't stand hearing it, and I certainly don't want to see it. But then there are people who feel the need to tell me about it, even after I've said, "I don't want to hear it." They continue to talk about it. Really, I don't want to hear it. It makes me sick to my stomach, it pisses me off, and I want to cry. So don't tell me! Some things I would rather not know.

Given the choice to be around some people I know or a pack of dogs, I choose the dogs. Don't get me wrong, I'm a very social person, and I love spending time with the people I like, but there are some people I'd just rather not be around. I could give the reasons why being around animals is better than being around some people, but I won't go into that. I'll just list a few of my favorite "things I've learned from my dog:" When it's in your best interest, practice obedience. Avoid biting when a simple growl will do. No matter how often you're scolded, don't buy into the guilt thing and pout...run right back and make friends. Be loyal. Never pretend to be something you're not. And finally, when someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by and nuzzle them gently.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home