Monday, March 27, 2006

Hollywood Poker and Too Many Brain Farts

I played in a neighborhood NL game on Saturday with 7 other guys. Around midway through the game I managed to get chip lead when my AQ made 2 pair on the turn. I had already called somebody elses all-in on the flop with A,8,? on the board. I was worried about AK, but he surprised me with A8 for 2 pair. Luckily, the Q hit and I knocked him out. Going to the final 3, I had about a 2-1 chip lead but seriously misplayed a hand. First off, I should have folded on the flop, then I lost the ability to count so I didn't fold on the turn either. This busted me down to 3rd and I went out on the next hand. I managed to win back my buy-in, but no profit.

I recently opened an account on Hollywood Poker to try something different. Since I am more interested in tournament play, I took the 2 free entries for designated tournaments as my opening bonus. I will play 1 tonight and the other later in the week. I tried 4 SNGs and 1 tournament on Sunday. I have not placed in anything yet. I have been playing the 10 person SNG and have not gotten higher than 5th. I don't know why I have sucked so much at these.
The Sunday afternoon tournament had about 300 people. I made it past the 1st break and had a brain fart when I didn't realize we were 3 handed instead of 2. This cost me 1/3 of my chips. A few hands later I had about T2000 when I raised to 300 on 50/100 blinds with AJ. From 1 before the blinds, I was mistakenly trying to pseudo-steal the big blind from the chip leader(T10,000+) and he called. The flop came 9?2, I bet heavy and he raised. I thought he was just pushing me around, so I went all-in, he calls and turns over 9,2. With another 2 on the river just to completely trounce me with the boat and I got busted out in the 90s. I would gladly accept some input as to how I could have done it different. I realize I am leaving alot of the variables out so it is hard to give advice. The only thing I can think of would have been to raise 5X, push preflop, obviously not play the hand or fold on the reraise.

Basically my play for the weekend was not good. I had a problem not seeing the signs or paying proper attention. I do not like the look of Hollywood Poker, maybe because I am used to ESPN and PokerStars, so after my 2 free games I am pulling out what's left. I still may try some free rolls unless there are 1000 people going for $20. I may try out some stuff on Full Tilt next week. As usual, I am really looking forward to Wil's Tuesday game.

2 Comments:

At 2:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Surf and I are thining of trying to get a live game together. I will keep you in the loop if we do.

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger jjok said...

Playing against a big stack is hard.

I look at it as paying taxes. AJ is definitely a hand to raise in an unraised pot, even against a chipleader.

I may have raised more preflop....but that's more of a personal thing. The flop bet was probably your killer. I am more of a flop check or check raise kind of person in this situation....

The way I see it, when it comes to tourney life, give the big stack the benefit of the doubt. Live to fight another day. He will pay you off when you do hit it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home