Friday, May 05, 2006

Odd Man (or Woman) Out

I've had a bit of a revelation this week. Our numbers are dwindling. The number of our group of friends that have no children, that is. Most of our friends have children. It's to be expected. We're thirtysomethings, and it's the natural progression of life. First it's getting married, then buying houses, getting a pet, having children... We've held our own in all of these categories but one. I had gotten used to it because it's been happening one by one for a while. No big deal. But last week my closest friend had her first child, and though I am extremely happy for her, I have to confess that it has been a little odd for me. It's different now. I'm okay with that, but it is different and understandably so. Then last night I had dinner with a group of girlfriends, and halfway through dinner I realized that I was the only one out of the five of us that doesn't have a child. I realized this because the majority of the conversation was about -- you guessed it -- kids! I was fine with it. I enjoyed hearing about their children, but I had absolutely nothing to contribute. So most of the night I was very quiet, which is unlike me! A couple of times I started to break in with a "Dundee did the cutest thing" story, but no one really wants to hear about your dog when they have children. Oh well! That's life. They have cute kid stories to tell and I don't. I have quiet nights when they don't. I sleep all night when they don't. It's just interesting being the odd one out.

2 Comments:

At 2:02 PM, Blogger CarmenSinCity said...

I know what you mean!! I am thirty something with no kids too. I have the best dog in the world though! hehe We'll have to get together and tell each other our cute dog stories.

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Matt Silverthorn said...

Hey, Brain. Hit me up with your email address, and I will send you the code for the post. You can send it to me at kaellinn18@hotmail.com if you don't want to post yours.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home