Monday, May 08, 2006

Heroes and Villians

Disclaimer: I love reading poker blogs and respect the players in the blogger tourneys.

One of the things I don't understand is how brilliant the "hero" is when he / she bluffs someone and induces a fold, yet when the "villian" goes allin with their A,Q or 7,8 suited and the hero calls with pocket kings, the villian is an idiot that got lucky. I actually play very little and need to continue my book education, but come on, if bluffing is good enough for you, then it should work for others. Sometimes you get caught bluffing and lose your stack and sometimes you get lucky. I agree someone calling your J,J allin preflop with 10,4s and gets runner, runner, runner flush got real lucky and I don't quite understand the call. I know more than one of us has pushed with the hammer only to pull a flush out of our ass to crack someone's pocket pair.

Sometimes the circumstances are a little different. Maybe you call that "maniac" while your holding A,10 because you "know" he's been stealing the blinds. This time, he has a pocket middle pair that hold up. This is one of the parts that I am trying to learn. When do you feel you need to stop contributing to the blinds thief and when do you let it go?

I'm not calling anyone out or trying to justify my play, although maybe I'm laying the groundwork for my defense if I start playing more. It is beginning to sound a bit Hellmuthian out there at times. I know I will learn one step at a time, one MTT at a time, one dollar at a time, and one book at a time. I am not alone in this process, until then, I realize that not everybody will like my play. I am fully open for advice, good natured ribbing, and helpful tools, but please be tolerant of those not as successful and qualified as you. Not everybody is the friggin genius that you are, just kidding. I will continue to read my usual blogs and hope to continue to learn and enjoy your adventures.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox, now on with the bad beat stories.

4 Comments:

At 3:03 PM, Blogger mookie99 said...

I think alot of times, the "villain" called with the raggy hand, whereas the "hero" pushed the donkey off his big hand. If that makes any sense.

But I do get your point, you see it alot on TV too, where the pro is made out to be the genius but if the rookie amateur makes a similar move its a bad play.

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger 23skidoo said...

Good post Brian,

Hope to see you tonight.

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger drewspop said...

Hey Brain, thought I had you linked up already. And now I do. Maybe see you at the Mook.

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Garthmeister J. said...

I usually try and be honest about when this happens. As I posted today I benefitted from two bigtime suckouts last night. My only defense is that both times I felt I needed to take a chance and take down a pot, but a suckout is still a suckout.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home