Thursday, November 30, 2006

My First Mookie Win

I was eager to jump back in the Mookie last night. I haven't played much of the regular tournaments lately due to the holidays and a dwindling bankroll. I didn't have enough for a WWDN buyin over at Stars this week, but I still had a few Washingtons at Full Tilt. After playing 4 SNGs and one session at a .05/.10 table, I was up 10 bucks for the weekend. That was until early this morning. I was proud to take 1st in a 65 player Mookie. I made good folds, good calls, got lucky and played aggressive when I could. You know, the usual formula minus the ability to make reads. I know near the end I was pretty transparent to the veteran players.

I don't remember many details (Waffles did a great job blogging the tourney). I got down sometime before the first break, but managed to chip up to be in the top 6 and just kind of worked up from there. I got real lucky that I had enough chips to survive running my KK into AA. The Pontiac game changing moment for me was when I picked up AA in the SB and was able to double up to behind Surflexus and the esteemed host himself. From this point on, I was able to take pots with cards and some over the top aggression. I was lucky enough to extend to a substancial lead that allowed for a ton of steals and let the smaller stacks knock each other out of it. Before the final table, I only remember knocking out 1 player. I never felt too comfortable with my lead because there were much better and more experienced MTT players at the table (cough..Surf, Hoy, ..cough). I was able to catch some cards and eliminate a few players, steal the huge 1-2K pots preflop and expand my lead quite well.

Head's up was between Surf and I. Going to HU, I knew that he was fully capable of teaching me a lesson. I think he is one of the best players I have ever been in a game with online or live. He was my greatest fear for the final opponent. He was able to double up early and a river card saved me from doubling him again when we split. HU lasted quite a few rounds and I doubt I would have been the winner if I didn't have such a large stack to fend off his attacks. I was thrilled that he and I represented the ATL and thanks to both of our railbirds. I'm sending special shout outs to Ski and JL514. Also, thanks to Surf for calling me today and telling me he enjoyed the head's up. I owe you a call back in the morning.

I don't know this for sure, but I believe I have now won the largest Mookie (65 players) and the largest WWDN (125 players) that have been played. I'm sure someone will let me know if I'm wrong and the poker gods will smite me for my pride and bragging. Good news is I lasted 1 year on my initial $50 deposit without having to touch any more of my "real" money to fund the fun. I have 3 live games to play in December so hopefully the luck will continue.

6 Comments:

At 1:55 AM, Blogger CC said...

Terrific job!!

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

good job

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger 23skidoo said...

Great Job Brain!

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger mookie99 said...

Congrats !! You played great, especially at the final table.

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger I Like Cake said...

me three weeks ago, you this week. shit dude, pigs will fly next. nice job. too bad I missed it - i never know when schedule and desire will allow me to play these days.

 
At 3:50 AM, Blogger Jordan said...

Thanks for the special shoutout. Congrats on the win, well deserved.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home