Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Fuck You Bill Frist!

For my friends / readers that don't normally go to my poker related links, you may have missed the hot topics about some recent legislation.

Here are some excellent recaps:

From Ryan:
http://www.absinthetics.com/blog/2006/09/30/the-moral-equivalent-of-online-poker/
http://www.absinthetics.com/blog/2006/10/02/tut-tut-looks-like-rain/

Pretty much everything from Wil and Joanne on Card Squad.

I am ashamed that I did not do more to help stop this. I sent the emails to the representatives, but I should have done more follow up when I got their lame ass reasons for supporting the legislation. I got the message about the phone march, but forgot to do it during my lunch or when I got home. In addition, I didn't join the Poker Players Alliance like I should have and help support the lobbying group. I guess a part of me didn't expect it would happen so I didn't do as much as I should have. Shame on me.

I am not very politically aware / active, hell, I don't even want to be on my homeowner's board. I am more the type that just gets pissed off when certain things happen. They don't have to happen to me, I just get frustrated and discouraged when I see too much government intrusion or abuse of powers by authority figures (Congress, the President, police, priests, foster parents, etc.) I absolutely start to lose it when special interest religious based intrusion occurs. I should be more involved instead of just being the guy that bitches and whines after things happen.

It is not just the poker legislation that worries me, it is more and more of our liberties and freedoms are being discarded lately. With abuses of eminent domain and the broad abilities to hold someone without representation or being charged with a crime, what is to say I may not lose my property or freedom some day because it suits someone else. Our current representation has been on a power kick and is getting all kinds of bullshit passed as long as you somehow connect it to battling terrorism. Our government's actions since 9/11 have frightened me about the future way of life in this country. I fear our future will be changed more by being "protected" from terrorism than by any terrorist's act. Bush wants our government to have some of the same powers as in England. Didn't we separate 230 years ago because we wanted freedom from religion and a heavy handed governing body?

I love this country and realize that I have a terrific life that is full of things that a majority of the world can only dream of owning. We have wonderful, hard working, intelligent citizens that live in some beautiful landscapes and most of us want for very little. I just want it to be a little more like it used to be and develop more wonderful opportunities. Then again, Canada looks really nice.

1 Comments:

At 2:14 PM, Blogger David Westbay said...

Amen, dude. I think a lot of people are waking up to what is happening in our country, and not liking it. Let's hope we can turn things around before they get really ugly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home