Tuesday, September 26, 2006

NYC Trip Report - Day 4

We woke up to gray skies on Tuesday. We didn't get moving early enough to catch The Today Show while they were still broadcasting from their outdoor studio. We did walk around the Plaza area and tooled around Rockefeller Center. I was wearing my Andruw Jones / Braves jersey and had no shortage of New York baseball fans stopping me to talk. New York fans seemed to know more about other teams than most hometown fans. It was quite interesting to see how excited other people get talking about our team.

After learning why Andruw is a "fish" (not in the poker sense) and being reminded how tough the year has been for the Braves, we headed over to 5th Avenue. We walked by Trump Tower and it has a sign that said it was open to the public. What they heck, so we went inside. It has a really cool multistory waterfall, a bar, small restaurant, and most importantly, a public restroom. I have to say, this is the nicest bathroom I have ever seen. I am used to the hands free water and towel dispensers, but this one even had a touchless soap dispenser. The funny part was hearing some poor guy struggling in one of the stalls. Here I am washing my hands in this beautiful facility and I have to hear his obvious distress. I know it's cruel, but this just made me laugh. I found it to be an odd juxtaposition. So if you're ever in the area and need to use the facilities, I highly recommend stopping by Trump's to take a.......look at the place.

We wanted to check out Tiffany & Co to see what the hype is all about. OK, I don't know shit about jewelry, but even I was impressed with what was displayed. I don't know if it was the quality of the jewels, or the lighting, but all the pieces were very brilliant. Of course, so were the prices. When Stacie saw some things that were going for hundreds of thousands of dollars, I knew we were buying nothing that came in one of their famed blue boxes. I didn't realize how big the place was. It has 5 or 6 levels with different things on each level like a department store. The elevator operator calls off the floors like in the old movies. He made me smile when he slyly said "Yankees rule" as I stepped in and wished us good luck when we got off the elevator.

It started to rain again as we left Tiffany's, but I wanted to go back to Times Square to do some souvineer shopping. I found it odd that there wasn't that much of a good selection for simple things like magnets and post cards. It was easy to find 4 for $10 t-shirts that were practically see through. Nobody needs to see me wearing one of those.

Late in the afternoon, we went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I am not a big art museum guy, so I didn't think we would need to spend very much time there. I was completely wrong and we shorted ourselves by trying to do it in less than 3 hours. Now that I know what is there, I couldn't do it in less than a day. It had so much more than just paintings by artists I have never heard of or cared about their work. It did have a fair amount of boring stuff like old chairs, spoons, and dressers. If you avoid these sections, you can enjoy the Egyptian section (complete with temple), awesome Greek sculptures, Tiffany stained glass, medieval art, great paintings, and a complete Frank Lloyd Wright living room. Check it out if you can. They usually close at 5:30, but are open until 9 on Sat and Sun.

The night ended at Serendipity 3 for some dessert. The place is eclectic and the dessert was very good, but not cheap. We attempted to share a Forbidden Broadway Sundae, but barely made a dent in it. I think we should have gotten the Frrrozen Hot Chocolate.

This was our last night in NYC and with full bellies, we headed back to the room to pack. We would have a few hours to kill in the morning before our car picked us up for the ride to the airport.


Post a Comment

<< Home