Monday, August 14, 2006

New Is Good, or More Likely, New is Lucky

I was invited to a $100 tourney in the north 'burbs on Saturday. This is 5X my normal homegame amount, but with 20+ players normally, just getting in the money would be a nice payday. Unfortunately, only 7 of us were able to make it. This was going to make a very expensive SNG for me and I thought about bailing, but decided to make the stretch.

When I got there, they decided to start off with a 1/2 cash game of some limit hold'em and Omaha. Now I'm really shittin' bricks because:

1) I have never played a live cash game that wasn't 5 card draw for less than $20.
2) I have never played limit or Omaha.
3) I certainly never put that much money on the table to "learn" new games.

I didn't want to display my weakness too early, I would save that for the tourney, so I said I was game. We all bought in for $50 and agreed that after a couple of hours, we would start a $50 NL tourney. They were all very nice to the new fish and I was able to luck my way in to a $90 profit after we ended with Omaha high/low. Our last hand was the big one when I had a Q high boat to my neighbor's J high and that alone gave me almost enough for the tourney buy-in.
We ordered some pizza and changed from the cash game to the NL tourney. Stacie had one requirement when I left the house....don't bubble! So naturally I came in 3rd with 1st and 2nd getting paid. The night didn't turn out too bad. Since I did so well in the cash game, I still walked away with $40 more than I started.

2 Comments:

At 11:30 PM, Blogger surflexus said...

Great job B....sorry i couldn't make it. Thanks for the invite.

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger Matt Silverthorn said...

Hey, profit is profit! Nice job. Sucks about bubbling, though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home