Monday, June 22, 2009

Turning 40

First of all I want to thank my wonderful husband for a great birthday week. This was the first time I've ever had my birthday celebration last a whole week. Gifts aside, I truly appreciate the thought and effort that he put into making this birthday very special. About the gifts... he really outdid himself. I love everything he gave me, and I did get a ring. I know most women think I'm crazy, but I'm not a big jewelry person. I wear a watch and a plain gold wedding band. I have other jewelry -- rings, necklaces, earrings -- I just rarely wear them. So every time we have talked about or looked at diamond anniversary bands, I've talked myself out of it. I just could never see spending so much money on something that is really no big deal to me. But this time I did it. It's nothing outrageous or excessively expensive, but I love it. It's a three diamond anniversary band with not so large diamonds but just the right size for me. My small hands can't pull off big honkin' rocks. But my new ring is perfect for me! Thank you Brian!

Now on to turning 40 and what it means to me. Some people dread 40; some people hate it when they get there; some people even get depressed over it. I must say that I have never dreaded it or been bothered by the thought of it. In fact, I've looked forward to turning 40. I look at it this way: at 40 I am wiser, stronger, and more comfortable than I was in my 20s or 30s. That's not to say that I have it all figured out because I know there are still plenty of life lessons to be learned, but I've taken to heart all I've learned so far. There are also some physical changes that go along with aging, but I've chosen to take a positive attitude about those too. The lines that are starting to form around my eyes are from years of smiles and laughter. The small aches and pains that are new to my body are from years of fun and activity. Best of all, the fact that I turned 40 means that I'm still here, alive and kicking and enjoying a wonderful life. I have been truly blessed with a fantastic husband, a great mom, wonderful friends, the best dog ever, and a comfortable lifestyle that allows us to do things we enjoy. I am embracing 40 and looking forward to what's to come!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home