Wednesday, June 21, 2006

One Finger -- Are You Kidding Me?

While Brian was losing money in poker tournaments, I was blowing money all over Savannah. Overall it was well worth it. For those of you who don't know, Savannah is a beautiful, lovely, friendly city on the Savannah river in coastal Georgia. If you've never been, I highly recommend it. River Street is a fun place to hang out, people watch, shop, eat and drink and drink. Lots of drinking going on there. For a change of pace Savannah is full of wonderful, shaded (very important) squares. There are probably 20 or so throughout the city, usually a block or so apart, and each one is different. Very nice places to relax. And when you're hungry there are many great restaurants. If you've ever watched Food Network, you may be familiar with Paula Deen, who has become a big celebrity chef on the network. Well, she lives in Savannah and owns a restaurant that has been around much longer than her popularity on TV. The restaurant is The Lady and Sons and features southern home cooking. I don't know how busy it used to be before she became famous, but now you can't go there without waiting an hour or more for lunch or dinner. We opted not to wait, so I have no idea how good it is or isn't. We did, however, visit Paula's new restaurant that she co-owns with her brother -- Uncle Bubba's. Only in the South. We had heard that Uncle Bubba's is good. It's mainly seafood (with some southern flair), and we were wanting some good seafood. We went for lunch one day, and the first things I noticed were that the menu was pretty limited for lunch and that just about everything was fried, and I'm not a fan of fried food. Well, I wanted some fish, so I sucked it up and ordered the Grouper Basket -- $12.99 for Grouper, french fries, pickles, and a cornbread muffin. A little pricey for lunch, but it sounded like a good bit of food. NOT! When I got my basket, it contained one, yes one (1), grouper finger (like a chicken finger) and about 10-15 fries, all of which was very greasy. After I used my napkin to soak up the excess grease, I ate my one grouper finger very slowly, trying to fool myself into thinking there was more there (not that I really would have wanted more because it wasn't that good). For the rest of the weekend, my $12.99 grouper finger was the big joke, especially after seeing a menu in another restaurant where you could get 4 fingers for $16. What a bargain! So if you're ever in Savannah and wanting only one grouper finger and want to spend $13 on it, go to Uncle Bubba's!

1 Comments:

At 7:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a beautiful home.

I told Brian that my wife loves Paula Dean. She has been after me to take her to Savannah.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home