Thursday, July 03, 2008

A Welcome Return To The Mookie

I haven't played the Mookie in a few months so I decided to jump in at the last minute to get in some more practice before this weekend. This is still my favorite tourney, but starting at 10 is rough on my delicate sleeping requirement.

Early on, I knocked out Kat and had a feeling that I was going to take it all the way. Even in my minimal play online, I have been having a horrible run lately but the pieces seemed to fall together perfectly last night. I had a fantastic run of cards and collected a few bounties along the way. I made most of my big pots when my small pocket pairs made trips on the flop. I think I played better than I have in a long time. I never put all of my chips at risk without the winning hand. I did make a few loose calls in the early blind levels, but you can do that in a deepstack game. It makes it easy to drop on the flop while still able to defend your blinds with an Ace and a face. Fortunately for me, I was able to get a piece most of the time. Once I developed a larger chipstack, I didn't mind pushing with A,Q suited to an early raiser with about half of my stack. I am trying to increase my aggression at the right time and in the right situations. After Carmen called, we were off to the races and I was able to outrun her pocket fives. Maybe if I run in to her this weekend at Planet Hollywood, she won't bonk me over the head.

I was able to maintain a nice stack all the way to the final table. After a few rounds of nothing hands, I had dropped down to the lower stacks. This is where I feel I played the best of the night. I didn't have too many showdowns, but was able to keep enough chips to make it to the top 3. NumbBono had the chip lead most of the time while I tried to hold off Zeroluck001. This guy absolutely owned me. Fortunately I had enough chips to take shots at him even though none were successful. Numbono was able to take him out and we went to heads up play. Heads up didn't last long against NumbBono. Since he was so aggressive, I was able to wait for him to drive the action and sealed the deal when he pushed in to my turned 2 pair. This was good for my 3rd Mookie win. I'm good for one win a year it seems and I only have to win a dozen more to be like Surf.




Sweet Mary Jane I'm tired. I still don't know how you people do this all the time. Especially you breeders out there with the long commutes and insane work hours. Well, I hope my next report will be about my profitable session in Sin City. Have a great Independence Day everyone.

5 Comments:

At 9:42 AM, Blogger 23skidoo said...

Way to go Brian! Have a good trip to Vegas.

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger KajaPoker said...

I knew all those tips I gave you would eventually start working :-)

Nice win and a good start to your Vegas weekend! Good luck mister all-in. Don't take one in the pooper!

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Mike said...

congrats dude! Nice cash.

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger mookie99 said...

Congrats!

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger katitude said...

NOICE!!! Way to use those chips...now where's my cut *grin.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home